Monday, August 16, 2010

Honeymooon Series: Day 3 Adventures


Our third day was packed with adventure. A big fan of trail running, I decided to take advantage of the scenic paths. Mike dropped me off from a trailhead seven miles out, and then he hiked from a different trailhead about three and half miles out. The plan was to meet about an hour later at Alamere Falls, a (sort of) secret place off the coastal trail.

The plan went somewhat awry. First of all, I am embarrassed to admit that I was way more scared on the lonely trails than I had imagined. Things were all sunshine as I was climbing up the ridge, but as I sailed down the mountain towards the coast, some negative visions of mountain lions took over. With fog drifting through mossy redwoods and not a person in sight, I think I set a PR (personal record).

Back on the ol' reliable coastal trail (tried and true), I felt safe again. But, as the clock started ticking at the trailhead to Alamere Falls, I started to wonder about Mike. Where was he? Two passing hikers claimed that they left from the same parking lot as Mike about an hour before and they hadn't seen him. Just as I started to get really worried, Mike and his blue backpack came over the crest. He had forgotten his wallet, so he went back to Almost Pi after he dropped me off. Then, understandably, he got lost in Bolinas.


Reunited, we hiked an unmaintained trail down to Alamere Falls.






No comments:

Post a Comment