Saturday, February 26, 2011

Evening at Midori's

On a cold Friday evening, Mike and I headed out for some noodle soup at Midori's Floating World on Lake. Our mutual craving for a big bowl of the steaming soup must have been rather immense since we typically refrain from choosing Midori's due to the slow service and lack of seating. Yet, the bitter cold of this particular February evening certainly called for Midori's noodle soup and we obliged.

To our surprise, our server was adorable and filled with recommendations (though these were for a local Malaysian restaurant as opposed to Midori's sushi bar...but nevertheless). She also instructed us to re-toast our sake in traditional Japanese fashion after catching us foolishly clinking our little glasses to "cheers." I also spotted her picking up after Midori (Yes! She exists!) as she threw order tickets and pieces of tuna on the floor in an angry huff. The server said, "We are so busy. I feel sooo bad for Midori! She is doing everything!" (Later, a man with funky glasses and a cool hat came out from the kitchen with a half sandwich wrapped in paper towel begging Midori to eat. She barely lifted her eyes from her rolls and made no indication of gratefulness.) All said, Midori's focus certainly paid off. Every sushi roll that came from her bar was not only delicious, it was art.

The noodle soups were everything we hoped for. Mike ordered his all-time favorite udon noodles in fish broth with tempura vegetables. I ordered my all-time favorite soba noodles with Wakame (Buckwheat! Seaweed! Love!) and shiitake broth. I could seriously eat noodle soup at least three times a week. I feel so healthy afterward; satisfied but not bloated the way American food hits ya in the gut. I think I am going to have to try out some recipes at home. I am guessing the soup isn't too hard to make and the ingredients cheap thanks to United Noodle!

Post soup, Mike and I returned home. Turned on the latest episode of Mad Men. Cringed over Don Draper's moodiness and Betty's awful parenting. Ate a piece of pumpkin chocolate chip cake that I made for last week's book club. Thought about roof raking and long runs as we fell fast asleep....

No comments:

Post a Comment